The Board of Trustees of the City of El Paso Employees Retirement Trust has elected to participate in the Proportionate Retirement Program (PRP) authorized by Chapter 803 of the Texas Government Code. The Trust’s participation was effective July 1, 2000. The Proportionate Retirement Program allows, under certain circumstances, employees who have active service credit in one or more of the retirement funds that participate under Chapter 803, to combine that service credit in order to become vested and meet service retirement eligibility in the City of El Paso Employees Retirement Trust and the other participating funds. The retirement benefit would be paid separately from each fund, based only on the service credit earned in that fund.
Your decision to participate in the PRP by leaving your accumulated contributions in the City of El Paso Employees Retirement Trust must be made on or before the time that your contributions to the Retirement Trust cease.
There are special rules with regards to salary and payroll balances at the time your contributions to the Retirement Trust cease that apply in determining your retirement benefits under the PRP. The plans that currently participate under Chapter 803 are:
- Austin Employees’ Retirement System
- Austin Police Retirement System
- City of El Paso Employees Retirement Trust
- El Paso Fireman and Policeman’s Pension Funds
- Employees Retirement System of Texas
- Judicial Retirement System of Texas Plan One
- Judicial Retirement System of Texas Plan Two
- Teacher Retirement System of Texas